The pupil premium is addition funding provided by the Government to schools to address the current underlying inequalities between children eligible for free school meals (FSM) and their wealthier peers by ensuring that funding to tackle disadvantage reaches the pupils who need it most.
At Thorogate School this funding is used in the following ways:
- to cover the costs of voluntary contributions towards school trips, ensuring full participation with educational activities.
- provide cover for teachers to undertake feedback activities with the children.
- to contribute towards the funding of Sports Coach.
- to contribute towards the cost of interventions to accelerate reading and writing progress.
- to contribute towards the cost of interventions to accelerate maths progress.
The Pupil Premium Strategy was reviewed on Thursday 10th November 2017. It will be reviewed again at the Autumn Term Governor meeting in 2018.
The 2017 - 2018 Pupil Premium Strategy for Thorogate School can be found here.
At Thorogate School we value the role that active life styles play in child development. We believe in providing active classrooms, playgrounds and after school opportunities; whilst acknowledging that there are times when children need to be less active to work productively.
We have welcomed the Government's Sports Premium and this contributes towards Thorogate delivering a high quality PE provision via a full time PE Coach.
Physical Education: To increase standard of all children in PE.
- all classes receive 3 x 1 hr PE lessons a week (Y2 - Y6 pupils miss 1 lesson every two weeks for small group academic coaching)
- school follows a set curriculum to ensure all children participate in a variety of activities
- there is regular assessment to track progression.
Healthy Active Lifestyles: To increase activity levels at break and lunch times.
- PE Coach is a lunch time supervisor and delivers a wide range of physical activities to all children.
- Change 4 Life primary clubs target the least active pupils.
- Pupil-Playleaders are trained and resources to support structured sport activities at play times and lunchtimes.
Competitive School Sports: Increasing pupil's participation in extra-curricular sport.
- inter and intra school competitions for all ages.
- cluster competitions organised by a member of staff at our local secondary school (SSCO).
- External coaches running after school clubs.
Total Sports Premium for 2016 - 17: £8860
172 eligible pupils
Please view the range of photographs in the Gallery and our Facebook page, which show some of the many activities.
Impact of Sports premium so far:
All classes have high quality PE lessons 3 x per week resulting very active pupils and the opportunity for pupils to stretch their sporting abilities.
Teaching staff have CPD on how to teach PE effectively twice per 1/2 term.
Increased attendance at inter-school competitive sporting activities with Thorogate School pupils doing well at these events.
Y5 pupils attending Change 4 Life training and delivering active sessions during play and dinner times.
The percentage of pupils between Y1 & Y6 taking part in extra curricular activity is now 85%