Parent Governor Vacancy
Parent Governor Vacancy
Are you interested in becoming a school governor ?
We are currently seeking passionate individuals to join our team.
Do you believe in giving the best opportunities and education to all children? We are looking for people who can bring their own life experiences, energy and ideas to the group to help ensure that the future for all pupils at Thorogate School is a bright one. You do not need to have had previous experience as a school governor, nor do you need to come from an education background. The most important thing is to be interested in the life of the school and being willing to be a committed and active governor.
What does being a school Governor involve ?
Along with the Head teacher, governors set the future direction for the school and decide how the school's budget should be spent. Governing bodies make decisions collectively on matters such as performance targets, school policies, the school's improvement plan and the school's staffing structure. They also hear appeals and consider complaints. You will be required to attend governing body meetings half termly. Relevant training and support will be provided through the local authorities comprehensive Governor Development programme.
Governors should have a strong focus on three core strategic functions :
1. ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
2. holding the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
3. overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
Governing bodies are made up of different types of governors :
- parent governors - elected from parents of children registered at the school
- staff governors - elected from the teaching staff at the school
- authority governors - appointed by the local authority
- co-opted governors - appointed by the governing body to provide specific expertise
Information about our current governing body members can be found on our school website www.thorogateschool.co.uk under the Our School > Governors tab.
If you are interested in becoming a governor at Thorogate School please respond by email and include a brief summary of the skills that you would bring to the governing body. Prior to submitting your response should you require any additional information please contact the chair of governors, Chris Hepworth by email (email@example.com).
Closing date for nominations: Monday 8th April 2019
Date of election if required: Wednesday 10th April 2019.