Attendance at school has a clear impact on the confidence and academic outcomes of pupils. At Thorogate School, we place a high value on good school attendance, including punctuality.
Currently schools cannot authorise absences from school for holidays. Only absences in exceptional circumstances can be authorised.
To support good attendance, Thorogate School:
- has its own breakfast club, which opens at 8am.
- supports the use of after school provision.
- asks parents to bring appointment cards (for example from dentist) to indicate medical absences.
- ensures classrooms are open by 8:45 to avoid parents having to wait unnecessarily on the school yard.
- keeps parents up to date by providing attendance data for their child each term.
- reward good attendance via certificates and mentions in assembly.
- work with parents whose children's attendance / punctuality is lower than we would like, so that together we can improve attendance.
Attendance at Thorogate School
- 2017 - 2018: 96.4%
- 2016 - 2017: 96.0%
- 2015 - 2016: 95.7%
- 2014 - 2015: 96.2%